Above Bar Church has a legal responsibility as a charity, and a duty of care to protect children, young people and vulnerable adults and those who work with them. We take these duties very seriously.
Our safeguarding policy
The policy applies to all areas of church life and covers all activities, and we are committed to making sure that it is put into practice. We care about children, young people and vulnerable adults, so we make sure all those who work with them understand why it is important to keep them safe. The policy is reviewed by the Safeguarding Team and the Leadership Team annually.
Key points in the policy:
- how to respond to abuse
- making appointments and arranging for appropriate training
- how the policy is applied in practice
Above Bar Church conducts DBS disclosure checks on all adults who are known to work regularly with children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church. These people also read and sign the Safeguarding Policy, which is available below.
The Safeguarding Team comprises:
- Head of Safeguarding, whose name and contact number can be found displayed on the wall by the church information desk. The Head of Safeguarding can also be contacted via the church office.
- Minister Responsible for Pastoral Care
- Safeguarding Administrator/DBS Checker
- Head of Operations
- Head of Children’s Work
- Head of Youth Work
- Social Action Development Worker
- One or more trustees, brought in as necessary
We are committed to keeping all our volunteers trained and kept abreast of safeguarding issues. We strongly encourage all of our leadership team, staff team and volunteers to periodically attend the safeguarding trainining, whether in-house or the CCPAS Facing the Unthinkable seminars that are run across the country.
Talk to us if you’re concerned
Report any concerns as soon as possible to the Head of Safeguarding, or consult section 1.2 of the Safeguarding Policy.
If you are preparing a safeguarding policy for your own organisation, we suggest you contact the Churches' Child Protection Advisory Service directly.