This Christmas, by spending less on ourselves and giving more, we can share hope with those in need.
Our Christmas appeal will be split 50/50 between home and away:
- The home part will be shared between Southampton City Mission, Basics Bank and CAP.
- The away part will be donated to Tearfund, in association with Heart for Lebanon.
How to give
There are three ways to give:
- Fill in an envelope and put it in a bucket at the door — or fill it in at home and bring it or post it to the church office.
- To give £5 by text message, text ‘ABCA17 £5’ to 70700. If you would like to give more than £5, please give online or send multiple texts.
- To give online, click on the button below to visit our MyDonate Page »
100% of money donated will go to the charities listed on this page. It is possible to Gift Aid your donation when you give through each of the three ways, so please take advantage of this if you are able.
Thank you so much for spending less and giving more this Christmas!
Away: Heart for Lebanon, in association with Tearfund
Heart for Lebanon is a faith-based ministry that employs a holistic approach to unconditionally serving the marginalized, rejected and under-resourced people in Lebanon, including the increasing number of Syrian and Iraqi refugees. Heart for Lebanon build up relationships with families and care for orphans. They do this through two initiatives: Relief and Community Care and Children at Risk.
Heart for Lebanon is a Tearfund partner, and as a connected church we are supporting their work with displaced people from Syria.
- £20 could give a child or their parent access to lifesaving health teaching
- £155 could cover the cost of a winter pack for a family of six: blankets & mattresses, warm clothing, a heater and two rugs
- £55 could cover the cost of providing desperately needed provisions to a refugee family for a month.
In 2015, 2,100 families received monthly food and hygiene items. The need continues to increase: now over 3,000 families are receiving monthly food.
Home: Southampton Basics Bank
Basics Bank give out free food and clothes to those in need in Southampton. Our state benefit system is good, but often it cannot respond quickly enough for life’s crises.
Southampton City Mission work with referral agents to provide emergency food and clothes provision for those who fall through the gaps in the benefit net.
Your gift will make a real difference.
- £20 will feed a family of three people for five days
- £50 will reimburse all volunteer expenses for one month
- £100 will buy a month’s worth of diesel for the van
- £250 will pay the utilities costs of the warehouse for one month
So far in 2017, Basics Bank distributed 5 days' worth of food to 7,694 families and clothed 971 people.
Christians Against Poverty (CAP)
CAP is available to everyone regardless of age, gender, faith or background.
For the last two years Above Bar Church has supported our CAP clients through the donations towards hampers. Several people from church also took hampers to clients. We are delighted that this year we will support clients again in this way and once again would be delighted with offers of help to deliver hampers as well.
We enclose food and things of practical value as well as a few luxuries that clients would not normally be able to buy themselves. Some are on very tight food budgets and these hampers can be a really special gift for them.
Ros Briggs, our CAP Centre Manager, says:
Our CAP debt centre has been open for over three years and we have seen over 100 individuals and families during this time. 21 clients have gone debt free in this time with many more working towards this goal – for some a process taking several years.
Some of our clients have received little in their lives in the way of kindness: this is a great way of showing God’s love practically.
2 Corinthians 5:20 speaks of being Christ’s ambassadors: what a privilege!
If you or someone you know is struggling with debt, call CAP on 0800 328 0006.