News and Articles
8 February 2019
On 11th February, join the whole church in praying that God would shine his light in the darkness. This blog post gives direction as we join together in prayer.
Read John 1:1-14 and take time to bow before God in worship and praise.
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. (1 John 1:5-6)
Ask God to shine his light into our hearts and our church and show us ways in which we are living in darkness rather than light – or are allowing the devil to get a foothold (Ephesians 4:27).
Take time to confess your sin before him - the thoughts, motives, words and deeds that are offensive to God. Ask for his forgiveness, cleansing and for his help to walk in the light.
Pray for strength to stand against all the devil’s schemes (Ephesians 6:11).
'You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)
Pray for our church:
- that we will increasingly love God, follow Jesus and share hope.
- that we will experience and enjoy God’s presence, walk closely to him and be freed from distractions that pull us away from him.
- that God will purify us as individuals and as a church so we will shine more brightly for him.
- that God will work in our hearts, to grow our dependence on him and give us a greater concern and commitment to pray for those who don’t know him.
- give thanks for the visit of the Webb family. Pray that God will make it very clear to them and to us whether Chris is the person to join the team of ministers at Above Bar Church.
- that as we make significant decisions, God will protect our unity.
Pray for our city:
- for individuals you know who don’t know Jesus, that God will soften their hearts and give you opportunities to share the good news with them.
- for a fresh work of the Holy Spirit, causing many people to hear and respond to the good news of Jesus.
- for those reaching out to friends, neighbours and colleagues, particularly on the East of the city, that they will have many opportunities to share the love of God in word and deed.
- that God will work in the lives of people in Harefield, where Above Bar Church East has been meeting. Pray that new people will join in the East Sunday gatherings and outreach initiatives.
- that God will clearly show us whether or not we should continue to have Sunday gatherings in the East and, if we should, what form they should take.