News and Articles
5 April 2019
‘The Lord reigns!’ during days of uncertainty and instability in our own country, and at a time when many Christians around the world are facing hardship and persecution for following Jesus, let’s take time to remind ourselves that God is on his throne!
As we pray together on 8th April, you may like to use Psalm 99 to focus your prayers.
The Lord reigns, let the nations tremble; he sits enthroned between the cherubim, let the earth shake. Great is the Lord in Zion; he is exalted over all the nations. Let them praise your great and awesome name ??" he is holy! (Psalm 99:1-3)
Praise God that he reigns for all eternity. He is great, holy, and just. He hears the cries of his people and answers them.
As we approach Easter, let’s thank God that he is a forgiving God (Psalm 99:8) and that, at the cross, God showed his justice and his mercy.
Exalt the Lord our God and worship at his footstool; he is holy. (Psalm 99:5)
As we think about God’s holiness, let’s take time to be still in his presence and confess our sin to him. Ask him to shine his light into our hearts and reveal the attitudes, thoughts, words, and actions that we need to repent of, and areas in our lives that we need God’s Spirit to change.
. . . they called on the Lord and he answered them. He spoke to them from the pillar of cloud; they kept his statutes and the decrees he gave them. Lord our God, you answered them . . . (Psalm 99:6-8)
Pray for Easter events:
- that the gospel will be proclaimed clearly through our Easter events, Sunday Services, and the Mark Drama
- that the Holy Spirit will soften hearts so people see the glory of Jesus and respond to him
- for people you have invited or plan to invite to Easter events
Pray for the work of Open Doors (and other agencies supporting persecuted Christians):
- as they support persecuted Christians in over 60 countries with Bibles, Christian materials, training, livelihood skills, and advocacy
- that our Easter offering will enable them to reach the people who most need help so that individuals and churches will be encouraged, equipped, and strengthened
Pray for situations where Christians are suffering for their faith:
- the World Watch List is Open Doors' annual ranking of the 50 countries where Christians face the most extreme persecution. Pray for God’s help for believers in this year’s top ten countries:
1) North Korea
- faith and endurance for the estimated 50,000??"70,000 Christians imprisoned in North Korean labour camps
- wisdom and strength for believers who must keep their faith completely secret or risk alienation, imprisonment, or even death
- God’s help and comfort for displaced people who have had to leave friends and family because of their faith
- God’s light to shine in the darkest places and that Jesus will keep building his church across the world
- God to change the hearts of people in power so there will be greater freedom for the gospel
- God to soften hard hearts and reveal himself to those who persecute believers, as he did to the apostle Paul