We love students, so we are here to welcome you into our family and support you in your mission on campus.
Our vision for students
As part of Above Bar Church the student ministry is committed to equipping students to be, God dependant, Mission focussed, Bible centred and Authentic Community for a life enjoying Jesus.
- Making Jesus Christ supreme in your life. We want to help you grow in your knowledge and love of God through the Sunday services and through the student meetings through the week.
- Sharing Jesus Christ with your friends. Many people are more open to exploring the gospel at university than they are at any other time in their life. We want to support you in your efforts to share Jesus with them. As part of that, we really encourage you to get stuck in with your Christian Union.
Our meetings for students
Sundays: services and more!
- 11am & 6.30pm services at our City site: most students come to these services, where the atmosphere is relaxed, the Bible is taught faithfully and relevantly, and sung worship is vibrant. Join us after the 6.30pm for pizza in the basement and check the calendar for the dates of our Student Lunches after the 11am service.
- Hospitality: a warm welcome and delicious food in a real home! Contact the student team and we’ll join you up with someone in the church.
- HUNGRY is our weekly gathering for all students which forms the foundation of our student community. Expect a tasty home-cooked dinner, a talk to help you grow, and small groups to probe further and pray together. Then go out and help each other to show and share the good news about Jesus on campus and with your friends. It happens at 6.30pm each Wednesday during term time, in Bassett. Check the calendar for the address.
Through the week: 1-2-1s
- Meet up, study the Bible and pray with an older Christian. We think 1-2-1s are a great way to grow, so we want everyone to be involved. Contact the student team if you’d like to be part of a 1-2-1 (and if you’d like to lead one).
For more information on student events you can ‘Like’ our Students Facebook page»
Our family, with students!
We think it’s really important (and biblical) for students to feel part of our church family. So if you decide to settle at Above Bar Church as your church in Southampton, we want to encourage you to use your spiritual gifts to build up the church — as we encourage all church members to do.
Serving the church
There are many opportunities to serve the church family. Students often serve in the music group, the children and youth groups, on the technical and stewarding teams. Chat to one of the student team to find out how you could serve.
Joining the church
Many students who commit to Above Bar Church while they are in Southampton decide to become a member (or an associate member). This is great way to identify yourself as one of the church family.