The Refresh project has already been transforming the impact of Above Bar Church. And there’s still more to come.
The vision of the next phase of Refresh focuses on the statement we want to make to the people on the streets of Southampton. We want everyone in the city to know that the church of Jesus is here; we want them to know that it is alive and well; we want them to know that we care about them, and would love to welcome them among us.
- Updating and redecorating the front stairwell, doorway and entrance
- Replacing the brick balustrades
- Updating the front lift and making it more efficient
- A glass atrium to go above the main entrance up to the roof
- Replacing the windows on Above Bar Street and Ogle Road
- Installing prominent signage on the outside of the building
- Improving external lighting
- Installing a screen by the front door for promoting activities with the church
- Works carried out - starting May 2018
- Completion - end of Summer 2018
The initial activity involves the total refurbishment of the front lift. This work entails installing new mechanism, re-aligning the lift car, re-skinning the interior of the car and refreshing the doors thereto. This work commenced on the 9th April and is due to be completed by the end of May 2018.
Following on from the work on the lift will be the upgrading of the entrance and street elevations, including the stairwell. This phase includes new front doors, the installation of an atrium, new lighting and signage plus new windows with brise soleil on the Above Bar and Ogle Road elevations.
During this work the front stairwell will be out of commission, though it will be available as a fire exit on each Sunday.
The work on the entrance and windows is due to commence on Tuesday 29 May 2018 and will last for approximately 10 weeks. Completion is planned for August 2018.
When Phase 2 was launched in January 2016 there was a sum of £100,000 in the Refresh fund (from Phase 1) and a further £300,000 has been generously donated. This sum allowed the project team to proceed with all aspects of Phase 2, except for the replacement of the Above Bar Street and Ogle Road windows.
The windows are in need of urgent attention, so the Leadership Team have decided to hold a further gift day in order to fund all the windows and Brise Soleil. Should sufficient funding become available the contractors are ready to add the windows to their schedule of work for this summer. In order to ensure we have sufficient funds, allowing for some contingency, to complete the whole phase we need around £140,000. The Leadership Team have agreed we can allocate approximately 50% from our reserves towards the work leaving £70,000 that needs to be raised.
The Gift Day has now been held, but if you would like to contribute further towards the project, please contact us.
How to give
- By standing order - download a form here.
- Through online banking:
- Account Number: 00340448
- Sort Code: 55-81-26 Ref: Refresh
- Donate online: Go onto the My Donate website and search for “Above Bar Church”
You can giftaid whichever way you choose to give. Please do if you are able!
For more info on giving please visit our giving page.