Above Bar Church has a long history of sending short-term teams and there are many opportunities for this to continue.
There are many reasons for being part of a short term team, including:
- Experiencing, and being encouraged by, what God is doing around the world. Jesus is still building his church!
- Building up the local community you are serving.
- Receiving blessing from your hosts. The faith and courage of Christians around the world is often inspirational to those who visit.
- Growing deeper relationships with other team members. These often continue long after you arrive home.
We have identifed a number of trips which we, as a church, would like to be involved with this year. Prices are approximate, and may vary depending on flight costs, health insurance, etc.
There may be other trips added to this list in the near future as we respond to need and opportunities in the world, so watch this space. As well as these centrally-organised trips many church members go on other mission trips. We celebrate and encourage this! Whilst these are not organised by Above Bar Church, we thank God that he has put a passion in the hearts of several people for world mission.
- European Leadership Forum Team
- Loche, France / Becca Taylor
- Church in the Park
- Latvia / Adam & Kate Collett
- Bournemouth International Outreach
- Ukraine English Teaching Camp
- Heart for Lebanon
- Mbarara, Uganda / Zillah Whitehouse
The next step…
After reading about the different opportunities available in joining a short-term team, please pray and ask God if this is something you ought to explore further?
We also expect those who go on mission trips to attend ‘World mission for breakfast’ hosted by Biddy Taylor and Paul & Di Allcock. This is an opportunity for those with a heart for God’s world to gather, sharpen one another and encourage each other on your spiritual journey.
Please contact Biddy to fnd out when the next breakfast will be: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can find out more about the different openings by talking to Paul Webber, Bryan Stonehouse or one of the trip leaders.
Funding mission trips
If God’s Spirit is challenging you to step out in faith but you’re unsure about having enough funds to come along, we can walk with you on that faith journey. There are at least four ways in which funds can be raised for a mission trip, namely:
- Each team member makes a sacrifcial contribution appropriate to them.
- Fund raising events in Above Bar Church e.g. a fundraising dinner, gift auction, or a sponsored run, etc. Not everyone can go on mission trips but many want to play a part.
- Ask friends and family to help you - this is also a great way of gaining further prayer support.
- Above Bar Church has a small, but not insignifcant, bursary for short-term teams.
The cost of each overseas trip varies from £300 to over £1,000, but if God is calling you to go on a short term trip please don’t let finance put you off. We have a God who loves to be generous to his people and for them to join him in his mission.
Our short term mission policies and procedures are in line with the Global Connections Code of Practice which ensures excellence from selection through to debrief. Our trips are aimed at Above Bar Church members and regular attendees. All projects are overseen by the Mission Projects Team (MPG), who report to the World Mission Strategy Group (WMGS), chaired by Paul Webber. Any questions or clarifications please contact the MPG chair person, Bryan Stonehouse.
Our booking conditions (T&Cs) can be found here »